There passed away at Roma on Thursday afternoon Major Herbert Hall Johnston, owner of Dueidar station, situated about 64 miles south west of Roma.

Major Johnston, who was in his 73rd year, was born at Dartmouth, Aberdeen, New South Wales, in 1864. He was a son of Eliza (Hall) and Thomas Andrew Johnston, of Clydedale, Singleton, and was the descendant of a very old pioneer family, his great grandfather and family coming to Australia in 1802 and settling on the Hawkesbury River. He married the second daughter of Mr WW Junor, of Gateside, Casino in 1902, who survives him, and he leaves a family of 4 sons and a daughter. He is also survived by four sisters (Mrs FB Fleming, Mrs AG Cowdery, Mrs H Campbell, Mrs AD Swan, all of New South Wales.). During almost the whole of his life he was engaged in farming and pastoral pursuits, and about seventeen years ago, he and his family came to the Roma district and acquired a property which he named "Dueidar", upon which he was engaged in sheep raising.

Major Johnston had a long and meritorious military service, for which he was awarded the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officers Decoration (VD). His service commenced with the New South Wales Lancers in the Singleton district, and later with the Mounted Rifles of the Richmond River. He was on active service in the South African war with the Canadian Scouts, gaining the Queen's and King's medals.

He enlisted at the outbreak of the Great War in 1914,and served on Gallipoli from 20th May, 1915, until the evacuation on 20th December in the same year, as officer in command of "B" Squadron, 5th Light Horse Regiment [who captured the field gun now at Roma]. On the reformation of the troops on their return to Egypt, Major Johnston led his squadrons in the march across the Sinai Desert, in the Palestine campaign, in the Desert Column, commanded by General Sir Harry Chauvel, and took part in the engagements with the Turks as far as Romani, where he was wounded, and invalided home, and was mentioned in dispatches for his work.

On his recovery, he was placed in command of the training camp at Enoggera, was in charge of route marches to encourage recruiting, and was in command of reinforcements which reached Egypt when the armistice was announced.

The funeral took place yesterday (Friday) afternoon, from the Presbyterian Church, where a service was conducted by the Rev CE Paull, who also officiated at the graveside. The large attendance included members of Major Johnston's old comrades in South Africa and of the AIF and the service concluded with the sounding of the "Last Post."