Obituary 3rd march 1937
The death occured on Tuesday, at the Prince of Wales Military Hospital, Randwick, of Lieutenant Henry Ithel Morgan, formerly of the 24th battery AIF.

Lieutenant Morgan, who was 48, had been an invalid since he was wounded in France in 1916. He enlisted in 1914, and was at the landing at Gallipoli.

A son of the Rev Mr Morgan, of England, he came to New South Wales some years before the war and took up pastoral permits, but sold his property to join the AIF. He was promoted from the ranks on active service. After the war he became a keen student of early Australian history. He lived in Cobbittee Street, Mosman.

Lieutenant Morgan is survived by a widow and a brother, the Rev AC Morgan of Wakefield, England.


(By 2nd Battalion)

A stirring afternoon of July, 1916, in the forward trenches of Pozieres. Confusion after an Australian advance, with the German position and ours not defined. One flank in the air and artillery support impossible until there is clarity.

So there goes forward an dartillery observing officer, Lieutenant HI Morgan, accompanied by his signaller. Leaving his subordinate at "Gibraltar" strong post, he goes on over the top, soon becoming the target of a well placed sniper. Four seconds between shots! Short rushes from shell hole to shell hole, and he finally drops into our front line trench, so recently held by the enemy and now being converted to our own use.

With the aid of his map and compass bearings, the exact location of the trench is soon fixed, and the information transmitted by "flip flap" to the watching signaller at "Gibraltar". He quickly telephones it to battery headquarters. A few ranging rounds are fired, and then the diggers are assured of artillery support when the need arises.

But, alas! The movement of a machine gun team in the trench suddenly calls down a sharp whizz bang strafe, and a shrapnel bullet gets the forward observing officer. A bad case. Stretcher bearers on their errand of mercy do what they can, and at long last get him back to the aid post.

Such a critical spine injury might well have proved immediately fatal to one less fit and inured to campaigning by strenuous months on Cape Helles. But despite paralysis of half the body, he reaches his well loved England, and soon becomes the marvel of surgeons and physicians by his cheerfulness and ability to overcome heartbreaking obstacles. Even the late King George V and Queen Mary, with the Princess Royal, used to come and chat with this wonderful patient.

Arrived in Australia months later, this sturdy, uncomplaining invalid wion the admiration and the affection of doctors, nurses, orderlies and every occupant of his ward. They could never do enough for this man. What an influence he wielded! Was advice needed on some business matter; did some point in technical debate require elucidation; was some action needed to counter some proposed work that would be detrimental to the community; was downright practical help needed - then approach to this quiet, well read, and kindly Englishman was never in vain. Is it any wonder that he had an ever widening circle of friends!

And throughout th elong year his great hearted wife stood nobly by. No words can express what the cheery comradeship, the unswerving sacrifice, the devoted service, have meant. May we in our various spheres go and do likewise.

Now, after more than 20 years "Johnny" has gone west. When will we learn the utter futility and folly of war! Johnny, farewell! Your passing leaves a gap. Yet the memory of your wonderful life will ever remain green, and be a spur to greater and yet greater efforts in the cause of spreading peace and goodwill among men.