Roma's War Trophies
Last Update 25th June 2003
[Extracts from correspondence and meetings over the allocation of War Trophies
to Roma. Italics are hand written, [square brackets] are my notes]
Form for allocation of War Trophies
- D.1751/3.20--C.4847.--4M [Form Number]
- Allotment Form (2) Q14
- Town Roma
- Entitled to One Gun
- UNITS FROM WHOSE CAPTURES TROPHY(IES) ALLOTTED IS TO BE SELECTED
- (Several to be Given in Order of preference)
- 9th Batt
- 5th Light Horse
- Signalers 25 Bat
- 2nd Light Horse
- ICC [no idea what this means]
- Are Brackets Required?
- (Postal note for 8/- to be attached if brackets are required.)
- Address to which to be forwarded
- Town Clerk, Roma, Queensland
- Most Economical method of Despatch
- By Sea to
- By Rail to
- Trophy(ies) Allotted
- 75mm Gun No 29 Captured by C Sqdn 5th light Horse Regt
- History Sent
- 75mm TM [Trench Mortar] 52nd Bn No 21096
- Heavy MG (no mount) No 39441 D.4044 M2096
- A brief description of the circumstances of capture is attached
- Notification of Despatch
- Package No
- Place on board s.s.
- in Capital City of your State, who will arrange for your package to be
placed on rails,
- Placed on rail at Melbourne on
- in Truck No
- i/c despatch
Letter Accepting additional Trophies
- Town Of Roma
- Council Chambers
- Qld State trophy Committee,
- 122 and 138 King Street,
- Dear Sir,
- I beg to acknowledge and thank you for your letter of the 14th inst.
advising me of the allotment to the Town of Roma of one Trench Mortar and
one Machine Gun, in addition to the Field Gun already received, and in reply
beg to inform you, that my Council accept your kind offer with many thanks.
- As brackets will be necessary for fixing Trophy to a wall, I enclose
herewith 2 PN's for the sum of 8/- for same.
- Yours Faithfully,
- CG McKeown
- Town Clerk
Letter Accepting responsibility for transportation costs
- On Behalf of the town of Roma I hereby agree that the citizens will pay
the transport charges from Brisbane of the trophy or trophies allotted the
town by the Queensland State trophy Committee.
- 20 Jany 21 (date) CG McKeown, Town Clerk Roma Town Council
- To be signed by Town Clerk, or one of the three Trustees appointed to
receive the trophy, or other accredited representative, and both copies returned
to the Secretary, Queensland State trophy Committee.
- One copy will be forwared to the Queensland Government when the Trophy
is despatched, as authority to forward it on immediately from Brisbane.
- Form 3
- Town Roma, Q
- WE, THE UNDERSIGNED TRUSTEES, appointed by the town of Roma to
receive trophy(ies) allotted it by the State Trophy Committeee, accept the
trophy(ies) as set forth in the Committee's circular, dated [blank], and will
comply with the conditions laid down, viz:-
- (a) Arrange for it to be permanently housed in a public park, garden,
or building within the town, whichever may appear most suitable, and for its
subsequent preservation and safe custody.
- (b) Arrange a simple ceremony, at which it will ['should' is crossed
out and replaced with 'will'] be formally taken over.
- (c) Bear all expenses conencted withthe transport and installation after
arrival at the nearest railway station.
- 1 Signature W Conroy
- 2Signature W Miscamble per CG McKeown Town Clerk
- 3 Signature Paul D Robinson
- Ex memeber of (unit) PD Robinson AIF
- Date 24th July 1920
Meeting Of Council, Council Chambers, 30th June 1920, 7:30PM
From the Military Authorities advising that ONE GUN had been allocated to
Roma. On the motion of Ald Care sec by Ald Ward. "The Mayor, Ald Miscamble
and Mr P Robinson Trustees to receive the trophy allocated."
Western Star Neswpaper, 3rd July 1920
[discussion on prior council meeting] Queensland War Trophies Committee,
stating the population of Roma supplied by the state representative is 3788,
and were entitled to an allotment of one gun in connection with the distribution
of German War Trophies - received. The Mayor, Ald Miscamble and Mr PS Robinson
were appointed trustees in connection with this matter.
Western Star Newspaper, 9th April 1921
[discussing council meeting] Notice from War Trophy Committee, advising
that one field gun, No 29, a war trophy. Captured by the 5th Light horse Regiment,
has been forwarded to Roma. After some discussion it was decided to place the
gun in the recreation reserve, as being the best place for the trophy to be
seen by the public.